Welcome message

Pull up a seat and stay a while...

Monday, April 18, 2011

April's request....Lemon Dairy-Free Cupcakes


In my group of friends, I am known for making cupcakes. I try to make cupcakes for each of my close friends birthdays, but it can get very overwhelming. However, April had requested cupcakes be made...and I very well couldn't say no. April can not eat dairy, so I went on a quest to make my very first Dairy-Free Cupcakes.

I thought that lemon would be very refreshing and I knew that April liked lemon.They turned out amazing and you couldn't tell they were dairy free! Here's the recipe:



Cupcake Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unsweetened plain soymilk
  • 3 T. fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used pre-squeezed juice)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 T. and 1 t. baking powder
  • ¾ t. salt
  • 2 T. fresh lemon zest
  • ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks) soy margarine (I used Blue Bonnet Light margarine)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • ½ cup applesauce
  • 4 large eggs 
Glaze Ingredients:

  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) dairy-free soy margarine, softened (I used Blue Bonnet Light margarine)
  • 1 lb. confectioners' sugar (I ended up using more than this...about 1.5 lb)
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 2 T. cold soy milk
Directions:


1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the soymilk and lemon juice and set aside.
2. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
3. In another bowl, using an electric hand mixer at a medium speed setting, cream together the soy margarine and sugar until fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until incorporated. Switch down the speed to low and add in half of the dry ingredients, beating until combined, followed by the soymilk mixture and apple sauce. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake cups and bake about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
5. In a large mixing bowl, beat the dairy-free soy margarine with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients, beating for about 2 minutes on a medium speed setting until the mixture resembles a glaze. Chill slightly before using.

Adaptive from About.com

1 comment: